Compositor 1.8 is out, with much improved syntax highlighting, better outline navigation, plenty of bugfixes, and more!
Here’s a selection of what’s new in this release. As usual, the complete list of fixed bugs and new features can be found on Github.
Syntax highlighting in the source editor has been improved considerably:
I’m by no means a designer, but I think I found a nice, low-key yet high-contrast color scheme that helps guide the eye in the source editor. The color scheme will be configurable at some point in the future.
Highlight matching braces in source editor #415
The source editor now finds and highlights matching braces as you edit, which is extremely helpful in a lot of cases, like this one:
Expand source editor visible range #41
The source editor now shows snippets (in gray) of the source surrounding the current scope (shown colored in the center):
This should be helpful not not only for better orientation within the document source, it can also be used to navigate to the previous and next scopes by clicking in the gray source areas.
Always center-align source editor window in page #426
The source editor was sometimes strangely aligned on the page:
This has been changed so that the editor will always be center-aligned on the page:
applekeys package with the app #418
There’s a new section in the toolbox for Apple key symbols, as provided by Herb Schulz’s AppleKeys package:
Improve outline navigation #80
Selecting a node in the outline view will now scroll the particular section into view, not just the containing page:
Keyboard shortcuts for “Fit Page” and “Fit Width” #407
I use these a lot:
Add “What’s new in this version” #424
The Help menu how has a link to the release blog post for a version:
Bump minimum required OS version to 10.12 #429
The minimum supported OS version has been increased to 10.12 (from 10.11). I need to do this from time to time in order to take advantage of newer APIs.
- Source editor syntax highlighting for commands without braces #404
- Incorrect source editor syntax highlighting for numbers #413
- Incorrect source editor syntax highlighting for commands with optional arguments #414
- Cannot append text to paragraph in source editor #402
- “Insert New Item” in list breaks at the wrong location #412
- No paragraph inserted when pressing Return inside command inside list #423
- Search result highlights not updated when text changes #401
- Images may be rendered blurry #420
- Image resolver fails to find files in distro #419
- Zoom shortcuts don’t work when document outline is focused #421
- Document breaks when changing number of authors #431 #431
Release 1.9 is scheduled for April 23, four weeks from today. The main goal for this release is to ship a first iteration of a table editor!
Please note: release 1.8 is the last release with a $19 price tag. The new price will be $29 starting from version 1.9.